Friday, July 21, 2006

Draft Proposal Available

I just posted the first draft of a document describing OpenPacket.org.

openpacket_req_doc_draft_21jul06.pdf

Please take a look and provide comments and suggestions. Those of you who want to help might want to announce yourselves on the openpacket-devel list to facilitate collaboration.

I did not assign any timelines because I am not sure of the level of effort required to make this a reality. At the very least this document is a starting point.

Thank you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Richard,

The proposal looks great. Something I'd like to see on the roadmap is the capacity to search traces by those matching a tcpdump filter or snort rule -- a format similar to what is set up at TurboSnortRules where the results are emailed if a lot of stuff is queued may be quite helpful.

Also not spec'd in your doc, I should think users should be able to provide analysis of traces (particularly unknowns) as comments, and each bit of analysis can also be moderated; i.e., the trace as an "article", and analysis as "comments".

Unrelated: is approval required for the devel list? I have yet to receive anything...

-Brandon Franklin

Richard Bejtlich said...

Brandon,

Thanks for your comments. I thought I communicated something about analyst comments, but I guess that either wasn't clear or I left that in an old draft. I want that too.

What is your email address? I'm not sure I see one that looks something like your name on the Openpacket-devel Subscribers list.

Anonymous said...

Just tried signing up again. The username is bfranklin and the domain is kitsolutions.net.

Richard Bejtlich said...

Brandon,

Did you get an email from Sourceforge that you then confirmed? I don't see you listed in either devel or user management lists.

Anonymous said...

Confirmation email was getting picked up by an overzealous spam filter. All is well now. Thanks!